Project assessment

November 8, 2009

Today I took a closer look at the car and added some repairs to the already long list. I’m sure that there will still be plenty of surprises in store once I get under the car. On the whole I was pleasantly surprised with the condition as it’s been more than a year since I last saw the car in daylight. There was much less rust than I remembered, just a few spots in the bottom of the doors and by the fuel filler cap. Right now it looks like there’s not a whole lot of welding to do, but who knows what I’ll find underneath. Ofcourse there are some dents and dings, but for a 21 yo. car it’s quite acceptable. Still, it’s not gonna be a minter without some serious attention, but that’s not what I’m after anyway.

Here she is

Pretty nice and tidy

Closeup of RH front door

Typical rust spot

Drivers door looks ok

Rear LH needs a new door trim

Front RH needs a new trim

Rear RH is ok

Some rust above taillight

Some small dents

Some stone chips

And a big dent in rear door

A few other faults I noticed was the hanging exhaust pipe, horrible radio antenna in the windshield, broken front foglight, horrible foam air filters, metric wheels and tyres and that one of the headlights needs to be changed. Also the headlight wirings looked a bit suspicious and will have to be renewed. The TRX wheels look nice, but the tyres are expensive, hard to find and inferior compared to modern tyres.


Exhaust attachment needs fixing

Busted foglight

TRX wheels

Smiley light on the left

Stupid foam filters

Wiring mess

I even tried starting the car and to my amazement she started right up. I only kept the engine running for a while, as there’s very little oil in the transmission. The engine sounded healthy but the exhaust gases were bluish, probably because the car hasn’t been started for a while and there’s probably oil all over the exhaust. I also took a few pics of the parts that came with the car. Among them is a used fuel tank, which shouldn’t be leaking and a pair of non-LAD shocks for the rear, just in case. Also both rear wheel bearing housings and swing arms, but I’m not sure if I’m gonna be using them. I guess at least the brake calipers may be salvageable.

Fuel tank and shocks

More rusty parts

Cool detail, wiper heating

New rear seat waiting to be installed

After that I gave the car a quick wash and put the car cover on. Winter is practically here so the project will be on hold until spring, when I get my motorcycle out of the garage and can start working on the car. There might be some small updates along the winter if I’m able to obtain some missing parts or start tidying the parts that came with the car. The rest of the pictures can be found here.

Left side

Buttshot

The oily bit

Good night, E32!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: